26.0 lbs Maris Otter
1.0 lbs Crystal 150L
0.5 lbs Weyermann Carafa II Special
0.5 lbs Hugh Baird Roasted Barley
4.0 lbs Billington's Molasses Dark Brown Sugar
Sac Rest 148-150 F 60 minutes Strike
1.25 oz Wye Target Pellet 8.8% AA First Wort Hops
1.00 oz Progress Pellet 6.0% AA 30 minutes
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale Liquid Ale
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale Liquid Ale
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III Liquid Ale
Ok.. so we were the last ones to start, first ones to post our recipe. (Advantage: Webmaster) But seriously, all of the equiptment for our system showed up at 9 am. By 9:45 we'd cobbled together the CDJK mobile brewing system.
Mash water was acidified using lactic acid and quickly heated to ~160F. This was dumped into Kent's lauter tun. And all the grain was mixed in to a settle at a temp of about 148F.
Sparge water was then heated up and acidified. (In the process the poor cap of my ph meter was sacrificed to Kent's mad burner.)
Recirc was quick and painless. Sparge then occured over the next hour as we ran off into a grant and then pumped into the boil kettle with the Target hops already present.
As we gathered more liquid than we had space for, (Part of the plan) we began running the first runoff into the second kettle.
The boil proceeded fairly normally (w/ one near boilover thanks to Jim's burners massive BTU output)
5 Minutes from the end we added the brown sugar. This sugar had been sampled by a number of people that morning and was acclaimed as a great sugar for an English beer. (Available at this time at Trader Joe's )
We sanitized the chiller and pump while we figured how, since we'd boiled in 2 pots, to balance the batch. We ended up using the pump as a mixer between the two pots. Once done for a sufficent period, ~10 minutes.
Chilling accomplished, we then ran boiled water through the chiller to dilute our batches down. We moved indoors to oxygenate and pitch our yeasts. Thanks to the Rhudes for pitching in another tank of O2 when mine ran out. Jim Kopitzke pitched his batch with London III. Cullen pitched Thames Valley. Kent and I (Drew) pitched with the Whitbread yeast. Kent elected to keep his batch at close to the original output strength (1.049).