Building this website has been a giant learning experience for me and I imagine it will be for everyone else as well!
Over time I hope to build this up into a robust guide for the great things you (as a Falcon) can do here!
Ohh.. more help guides!
Adding a Brewing Link
If you've got a web link that you think your fellow Falcons will enjoy, put it in our "Other Brewing Links" section.
- Click the "Create Content" link in the left hand menu.
- Click on "Brewing Links"
- Fill out the title
- Fill out the link title - This is what's displayed for the link in the Other page
- Add the URL to Link URL
- Click 'Yes' if the link or resource is related to the Falcons (e.g. a brewery that is run by Falcons or a place that offers us a discount or a Falcon member's writings)
- Categorize the link with vocabulary - As you type, the site will provide suggestions. Feel free to add your own. Current Categories include:
- Bars and Brewpubs
- Beer Stores
- Brewing Resources
- Homebrewing Clubs
- Homebrewing Suppliers
- Fill out the Description field with a short, but useful blurb about what's on the other side.
- Click "Save" and presto - you've added a link
Ok, next step and what I hope will be a very popular destination for everyone after the Sunfest this weekend
First, don't forget you always have your own photo album. Follow the link in the upper right corner for "Your Album". The system will automatically create it for you if it doesn't exist already. Here's mine, for instance - http://www.maltosefalcons.com/v/MembersAlbums/Drew+Beechum/. Add all the photos you feel like in here!
Adding Photos to an Existing Album
- From the lower left corner pull down "<<album actions>>" - choose "Add Items"
- Your best choices are "From Web Browser" for small groups of images or "Upload Applet" for a bulk upload.
- After the photos are uploaded, you'll see them in the album ready for viewing and comment
Adding A New Album
- If the album you want doesn't exist in the archive, it's easy to add an album.
- Go to the Photo Gallery and verify that the target album doesn't exist.
- Find the pull down menu in the lower left corner of the gallery labeled "<<album actions>>"
- Choose "Add Album"
- On the next page enter your details. For the 2009 Sunfest example we fill the fields out like so:
- Name - 200908Sunfest
- Title - 2009 Sunfest (McGill Campground)
- I like to add the camping location to the title to help people remember and to help search
- Summary - Another August, Another Excuse to Party - This time in the pines of Mt. Pinos
- Just a little something to remind folks from the front screen about what the album contains
- Keywords - festival, sunfest, mcgill camp, mt. pinos, frazier park
- These not only help search, but they help build "dynamic albums" (Do a search on sunfest and choose the gallery tab from the results and get this: http://maltosefalcons.com/search/gallery/sunfest)
- Description: "It's been an unusual summer here in LA. It's been seriously cool, but that doesn't stop us from escaping into the beautiful pine covered mountain area of Mt. Pinos outside of Frazier Park."
- Click "Create" and the site will magically build a new album for you.
- <b>CREATING AN ALBUM FOR A PAST EVENT?</b> - Our gallery is automatically sorted to show albums in order of the "Origination Date" aka when the event happened. If you're creating an event for the past you need to set the origination date correctly. Just click on the "General" tab after the create process. Down below description you'll see pulldowns for "Album Date and Time". Set the date and click "Save" at the bottom.
- From here you can add photos via the "Add Items" link on the left - Your best choices are "From Web Browser" for small groups of images or "Upload Applet" for a bulk upload.
As Falcons member you have your very own beer blog. Here's the perfect place to jot down notes to share with the group about your latest beer misadventures and hi-jinks.
Clicking on the "Blogs" menu item will bring you to a list of recent blog entries, including your own. (A link will appear on the left for "My blog" to take you to only your entries)
Your blog url is always like this http://maltosefalcons.com/blogs/[your user name]/
For instance my blog is here: http://maltosefalcons.com/blogs/drew-beechum
To create a new blog entry, click the "Create new blog entry" link at the top of the blog pages or choose "Create content" from the left and choose "Blog Entry". From there type away and let flow your description of what's brewing. After all, we all love talking about beer, so talk about yours!