So I found a TON of ripe prickly pears by my friends house so I thought I'd put together a little how-to. Check out the pictures here
- First of all you WILL get thorns in your hands, so wear leather gloves untill the thorns have been removed.
- Once you get your haule home, the easiest way to clean them is to start by burning the thorns off over an open flame. Even after this there were still a ton of loose thorns all over them
- Wash under water with a light brush to knock the remaining loose thorns off
- Split them down the middle and scoop the guts out with a large spoon leaving the skin behind
- Once all the meat has been separated from the skin, blend to create a smooth puree
- Check your specific gravity and wieght/volume to aid in your brewing calculations
- My puree went straight into the freezer as I didn't have any beer ready to recieve it yet. If I were doing a sour beer, I would just add it straight into secondary. If I were going for a non-funky beer, I would thaw the puree, heat to pasteurization temp and add some pectic enzyme to aid with clarity.